Motion for Life | Cat-Cow Stretch
Updated: Apr 4, 2019
The cat-cow stretch improves posture and balance, strengthens and stretches the spine, neck, hips and back.
Tip: Make sure you are wearing cloths you can move and stretch in. This will allow you to get the most out of this move.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Getting in to cat-cow, place a yoga mat on the floor.
2. Begin on your hands and knees, your leg placement should be shoulder width apart. Your hips should be directly over your knees and your shoulders should be directly over your hands.
3. Spine should be in neutral position (table top). Let your neck be long and looking at the floor.
4. Stabilize your shoulder blades by pulling them slightly back and downward. Relax and breathe into your core. Take slow deeps breathes letting your belly and rib cage expand and collapse with each breath.
5. Once you feel relaxed and comfortable, inhale and slowly allow your belly to sink towards the floor going into Cows Pose, lift your head, relax your shoulders and gaze straight ahead of you.
7. As you exhale go into Cats Pose, simultaneously round your spine upward and tuck your tail bone inward as you arch your back. Slowly drop your head downward towards the floor keeping your head and neck relaxed, insure you keep your head in alignment with your torso during the whole process.
8. Move slowly back and forth between cat-cow with each inhale and exhale matching your movement to your breath. Do this for 5 to 10 breaths every morning before you start your day and, in the evening, before you go to bed.
9. Start and end your day with this stretch to help relieve stress and calm your mind.
Check Out the VIDEO for This Stretch
Questions: Give us a Call (360-718-8613) or Message Us On Our Website