Are head stands and hand something for you? Why would I as an adult want to do these? These are great questions, you also may be asking:
>> What is the purpose of doing a headstand or a handstand?
>> Is it healthy for me?
>> Is it going to make me dizzy?
>> Is it safe?
Like with any exercise or movement, there are risks and certain people who should be cautious (we will talk about that towards the end). But there are some great things that can come of adding head or hand stands to your weekly exercise practice.
Some of the Benefits:
1. Improve upper body strength
2. Builds core strength by working the muscles in your abdomen and back.
5. Boosts your mood, since the extra blood flow to your brain can energize and calm you when your feeling down and stressed.
6. Can reduce production of the stress hormone, cortisol, helping relieve minor depression and anxiety.
7. Handstands/Headstands reverse the effects of gravity, cleanse, soothe, nourish and energize your body & mind and activates your parasympathetic system.
8. Handstands and Headstands turn you upside down and give you a whole new perspective on life!
Headstand and Handstands should only be tried for 30 secs with assistance for
beginners. When you gain more confidence, you can do 1 minute up to 3 minutes.
Some Potential Risks:
Inverting yourself is not safe for everyone! Please check with your Doctor to see if Head stands/Handstands are safe for you. Contraindications include cervical disc and eye issues, and possibly high or extremely low blood pressure. Inverting yourself upside requires some bravery, conquering any fear of falling also builds your confidence.
Avoid inverting if you have:
High blood pressure, heart conditions, eye issues (glaucoma), spine or disk issues (osteoporosis)